Thread: Could be Canada

Title
      Liked
      15 times
      Rep
      mangetout is on a distinguished road

Could be Canada

Hi

Just started with britsabroad , I'm a site manager in construction in the uk and could be coming over to Canada through a company.

Any one else in the same field ? would be great to hear your story so far.

Regards

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979

Title
      Administrator
      Liked
      897 times
      Rep
      Ktee is on a distinguished road
      Hi and welcome to the forum

Title
      Liked
      77 times
      Rep
      twinsmom65 is on a distinguished road
      Hi and welcome to the forum.

I have lived in Canada since 1981. I am originally from the UK. My OH is a Sheet Metal Worker, and has worked on new construction here in Canada.

Whereabouts in Canada are you looking to move?

If you have any questions, about cost of living, or what it is like to live in Canada, please feel free to ask, or even PM me.

Cheers

Karen

Title
      Liked
      3 times
      Rep
      Heather is on a distinguished road
      Hi mangetout. Just joined the forum and stumbled across your thread. Are you still in the UK or have you relocated now? Me and my husband are looking at relocating to Canada so we are pretty much in the same boat and wondered if you were any nearer to achiving the goal? Thanks
      Lookingtoleave likes this.

Title
      Liked
      15 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by Heather View Post
      Hi mangetout. Just joined the forum and stumbled across your thread. Are you still in the UK or have you relocated now? Me and my husband are looking at relocating to Canada so we are pretty much in the same boat and wondered if you were any nearer to achiving the goal? Thanks
      Hello Heather

Still in the uk at present but are looking into working with an agent to get my visa for Canada as the agency who were talking about getting me in with a company has fallen flat talk the talk but couldn't walk the walk.
      We are looking at Vancouver as my wife has immediate family there,how about you ? what does your OH do ? from what I have gathered so far Canada is a better immigration option than any other country at present

Regards

Title
      Liked
      3 times
      Rep

Hi Twimsmom65.

Quote Originally Posted by twinsmom65 View Post
      Hi and welcome to the forum.

I have lived in Canada since 1981. I am originally from the UK. My OH is a Sheet Metal Worker, and has worked on new construction here in Canada.

Whereabouts in Canada are you looking to move?

If you have any questions, about cost of living, or what it is like to live in Canada, please feel free to ask, or even PM me.

Cheers

Karen
      Hi twimsom65. Sorry it has taken so long for me to reply. My OH is a truck driver and were thinking of Calgery or Saskatoon. Lived in Saskatoon for a short period of time back in 2007 but needed to return home due to family issues. Now all sorted thinking of returning and starting again. Love Canada and believe that it is your heart. Wondered if you can confirm in relation to the economy out there as it appears that there has a worldwide recession and wish to ensure that it is still good in Canada. As Canada been badly affected? Have the costs of everything gone up dramatically since we were there? Any advice gratefully received. Thanks

Title
      Liked
      3 times
      Rep
      Hi there. We too are looking at agents. We did move to Saskatoon for a short period of time in 2007 but needed to return to UK due to family issues and now all sorted out looking at returning and starting again. We were think maybe Calgary. My OH is a truck driver what about you? Good that your wife has family out there as that will be a starting block for you. We loved Canada hence why looking now to return. I know from our personal experience in 2007 it was definitely better there then anywhere else. We were thinking Calgary this time would you head for Vancouver? Thanks

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Lookingtoleave is on a distinguished road
      Quote Originally Posted by mangetout View Post
      Hello Heather

Still in the uk at present but are looking into working with an agent to get my visa for Canada as the agency who were talking about getting me in with a company has fallen flat talk the talk but couldn't walk the walk.
      We are looking at Vancouver as my wife has immediate family there,how about you ? what does your OH do ? from what I have gathered so far Canada is a better immigration option than any other country at present

Regards

Hi Mangetout

came across your thread also and was wandering how you are getting on, my husband a construction project manager / QS ,and we also are looking at emigrating with 3 kids, there have been expos in uk / ireland with British Columbia construction association. That basically you forward cv to and they find employment for you ... They are back in Belfast at end of Oct along with Calgary construction assoc too , have you had any experience with them ?

Title
      Liked
      3 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by Lookingtoleave View Post
      Hi Mangetout

came across your thread also and was wandering how you are getting on, my husband a construction project manager / QS ,and we also are looking at emigrating with 3 kids, there have been expos in uk / ireland with British Columbia construction association. That basically you forward cv to and they find employment for you ... They are back in Belfast at end of Oct along with Calgary construction assoc too , have you had any experience with them ?

Sorry not heard of them. When we used agent before everything went really well and no hiccups at all. Only thing I can say really is check them out on the web. When we were there previously my husband worked in windows and I can remember that my husband had to complete a WHIMS test as part of the construction industry requirements. He had to complete this when we arrived and with the employer. Sorry cannot be any further help.

Let me know how you get on though

Title
      Liked
      15 times
      Rep
      Hi Heather, Lookingtoleave and Twinsmom65

This could be an interesting forum, I have had a look at BCCA and would consider using them but don't know much about them and are at present talking to Migrate me (Simon ) cant find any bad reviews as yet.Have not paid any money yet so are still in discussion with Simon , let me know how you get along with BCCA, you mentioned that they find you an employer ? do they also help you with the relocation and visa as well.

We are looking to move to Vancouver but the property prices are extortionate and with what we make on selling our house doesn't give us a lot of money for a deposit, but as they He who dares lol.

Looks like we are looking to buy condominium (love that) or a flat to us Brits , but with the wages I get as Superintendent and with my wife as a chef we could have a better quality of life we don't get back here , fingers crossed .
      Don't mean to sound nosey but how's the wages looking for you's lot do you think you could be doing ok over there? We have a 10 year old daughter who would love the chance to live over there and the wife is right behind the move as well.
      Luckily the OH has cousins and an Aunt and Uncle in Vancouver so that would make it a natural choice for the move but as I said the house prices are a killer, but because of the connection there we would probably not consider any other place at present . But at the end of the day you have to go where the work is (but not up in the Artic circle lol) there seems to be still a fair bit of work over there still what's it like for every one back here ?

Let me know how you all get on and I will up date this forum as me and the family carry on with the visa .

Regards
      Ktee likes this.

• Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast