Welcome to British Expats Abroad
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Results 11 to 20 of 41
    Like Tree8Likes

    Thread: Could be Canada


    1. #11

      Title
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2013
      Posts
      5
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Lookingtoleave is on a distinguished road
      BCCA are a very reputable company and a charity organisation, was just enquiring if anyone has secured work through them.. You should contact them first also look at going to the expo and speaking directly to them .. It's the workingin one
      I found great websites earlier when I goggled construction jobs in canada www.icds.ie, loads of jobs there ...
      keep us posted

    2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979
    3. #12

      Title
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2013
      Posts
      13
      Liked
      3 times
      Rep
      Heather is on a distinguished road
      Quote Originally Posted by Lookingtoleave View Post
      BCCA are a very reputable company and a charity organisation, was just enquiring if anyone has secured work through them.. You should contact them first also look at going to the expo and speaking directly to them .. It's the workingin one
      I found great websites earlier when I goggled construction jobs in canada www.icds.ie, loads of jobs there ...
      keep us posted
      Thanks for the information regarding the website. Will also have a look at BCCA. Keep us informed as to how you are progressing. At least you have somewhere to start from though in Vancouver.

      Keep us informed

      Thanks

    4. #13

      Title
      Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2013
      Posts
      36
      Liked
      15 times
      Rep
      mangetout is on a distinguished road
      A quick update

      Getting my CV made up for Construction Superintendent jobs in Vancouver by my agent. The UK cv differs from the Canadian version and a type info graphics will be added to make it more appealing. My linkedin account will also be maximized as I've been told the company's will more than likely check you out first.
      My cv will be ready just before the Christmas break and will be sent out then, my agent thinks I could be in with a chance as there are some jobs being advertised for the new year so fingers crossed.


      I will update again in the new year , have a good Christmas
      Ktee and tonyman like this.

    5. #14

      Title
      Administrator
      Join Date
      Feb 2011
      Posts
      2,753
      Liked
      897 times
      Rep
      Ktee is on a distinguished road
      Fingers crossed for you. Is the CV style a lot different?

    6. #15

      Title
      Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2013
      Posts
      36
      Liked
      15 times
      Rep
      mangetout is on a distinguished road
      Quote Originally Posted by Ktee View Post
      Fingers crossed for you. Is the CV style a lot different?
      It makes the UK CV look stuffy if you know what I mean, plus our agent has done me an infographic CV as well, apparently the Canadian company's like the look of it as its designed to grab their attention.
      The CV will be sent out this Monday so finger crossed for the new year, our agent told me on Friday that another client who also works in construction has got his first interview lined up.

    7. #16

      Title
      Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2013
      Posts
      36
      Liked
      15 times
      Rep
      mangetout is on a distinguished road
      As promised I am updating our progress since Christmas

      I have had my screening interview 2 weeks ago and got through, had my Skype interview and have been notified to submit 3 references, so far so good.
      The area where the work and position is in Regina, ok not our first choice as we was looking to go to Vancouver (wife has relatives there) but there's plenty of work in the SK region so rule of thumb you go where the work is. Also we agreed if the right company gave us an offer we would be silly to turn it down , and as the company is one of the biggest construction companies in Canada you don't look the other way.
      I have been told that the company will contact me within 2 weeks from my Skype interview (interview was on the 13th March) to see if I have been selected I guess for the final process.

      In all, we are looking forward to going to Regina and making the most of the opportunity given to us, we have done plenty of research about the place so will not be going in blind. And if we don't like it after a couple of years once I get some Canadian work experience behind me and get my PR we can go where ever we want .


      I will update again shortly

    8. #17

      Title
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2013
      Posts
      5
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Lookingtoleave is on a distinguished road
      Quote Originally Posted by mangetout View Post
      As promised I am updating our progress since Christmas

      I have had my screening interview 2 weeks ago and got through, had my Skype interview and have been notified to submit 3 references, so far so good.
      The area where the work and position is in Regina, ok not our first choice as we was looking to go to Vancouver (wife has relatives there) but there's plenty of work in the SK region so rule of thumb you go where the work is. Also we agreed if the right company gave us an offer we would be silly to turn it down , and as the company is one of the biggest construction companies in Canada you don't look the other way.
      I have been told that the company will contact me within 2 weeks from my Skype interview (interview was on the 13th March) to see if I have been selected I guess for the final process.

      In all, we are looking forward to going to Regina and making the most of the opportunity given to us, we have done plenty of research about the place so will not be going in blind. And if we don't like it after a couple of years once I get some Canadian work experience behind me and get my PR we can go where ever we want .


      I will update again shortly




      thats a great update , please keep us posted ,
      did you get these through migration agent ? Did you contact the British Columbia Construction Association or icds ?

    9. #18

      Title
      Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2013
      Posts
      36
      Liked
      15 times
      Rep
      mangetout is on a distinguished road
      Hi lookingtoleave

      None of the above mate, our migration agent worked out to be pants in the effort of finding an employer. They done a good job with my cv and linkedIn profile but finding a employer with a LMO in place, well I wont recommend them.
      The British Columbia Association can only help you out so much and really I didn't go down that route and icds have a recruitment drive apparently lined up this April with interviews in Dublin and London with a Canadian employer. Again with icds they always talk a good one and have great contacts with construction companies in Canada as you are always told, but I don't trust them or any other recruitment agency.
      I approached the company directly through their web site and applied for the advertised position and have to count myself lucky that I got as far as I have already, so now I'm waiting till next week for the response.

      If I get through, they will fly me out for a visit to the regional office and meet the team and get a chance to check the area out, also what projects I will be working on.

    10. #19

      Title
      Member
      Join Date
      Apr 2014
      Location
      High River, Alberta
      Posts
      35
      Liked
      10 times
      Rep
      Toedown is on a distinguished road
      Hello, sorry to butt in on your thread.
      I am not in construction but have been in Canada for 7 years.
      Please do not pay anybody to find you a job.
      It is totally illegal for any company in Canada to do that.
      These immigration companies are parasites, they take your money and run.
      For every one happy ending, there will be 1000 horror stories.
      You can do it all yourself, go on the CIC.gov website, you can see which stream your job comes under & which visa you need.
      Canada is not like the UK for finding a job, very rarely will they answer emails, the best way is to do research on companies, whether they have LMO's available, come over on a recce trip & start banging on doors, they like that.
      Good luck.

    11. #20

      Title
      Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2013
      Posts
      36
      Liked
      15 times
      Rep
      mangetout is on a distinguished road
      Toedown

      I haven't paid any Canadian company to find me a job, I've got where I got off my own back. The immigration company I was using in the UK I have now blown out and don't use them, as stated in my thread.
      The company who I have had the interviews with are now flying me and the missus out to meet and greet the company and for me to sign the contract, job done!
      We should be out there around July time

      Thanks for the notice anyway

     

     
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast