• 1 Post By Ktee

Thread: First time working abroad!

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      PaulM is on a distinguished road

First time working abroad!

Hi all. My name is Paul and I'm soon to be starting a new job in Jubail, KSA. It's our first time away from the UK together and we're not really sure what to expect. Obviously, accommodation needs to be found and a school for our youngest. Not sure if I am going to be looking for housing in a Jubail compound or stay in Damman or Al Khobar and commute daily - any advice welcome!

Anyway, nice to meet you all.

Paul

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979

Title
      Liked
      209 times
      Rep
      Pink is on a distinguished road
      Hi Paul,

Sorry I have no experience of moving to KSA (or even nearby), but I do have a friend who moved to Dubai for a short period, they had their children in a English school as it made it much easier for them. Is the company providing temporary accommodation and other things until you get settled?
      Ktee likes this.

Title
      Administrator
      Liked
      891 times
      Rep
      Ktee is on a distinguished road
      I am told there are more choices of school in Khobar, however the International School in Jubail is suppose to be good. It's a small school with around 300 students ages ranging from 3 - 18 years.

The Jubail International School is a member of the Al-Hussan network of schools, including its sister school Al-Hussan Academy in Al-Khobar. It opened in September 1999 and has KGI to grade 12 with students representing 18 nationalities. The Saudi Arabia Ministry of Education, General Administration, approves the school for expatriate education. The language of instruction is English.
      The Jubail International School is a university preparatory school educating students primarily for American, British, and Arab universities. The first graduating class, in 2002-2003, grade 12, completed course requirements for a high school diploma. Students at Jubail International School are prepared to take the American College Board Examinations (TOEFL, SAT I, SAT II, Advanced Placement) and the British IGCSE, 'A' Level and 'AS' Level examinations.
      The Jubail International School is housed in a purpose-built centrally air-conditioned school building. The single level facility includes 24 classrooms, library, fully equipped science laboratory, multi-purpose room, computer laboratory and large art room. The outdoor play area consists of two basketball courts, soccer pitch and protected kindergarten playground on spacious grounds.
      The Jubail International School admission policy is non-selective. All students are required to take a diagnostic exam for grade/level placement in English and mathematics which may require remedial classes. All students must choose a second language: French, Arabic or Urdu.

In regards to expat life they say there isn't much outside of the compounds and that they are the best way to go. Also a lot of the expats tend to live in Khobar.
      PaulM likes this.

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Thanks for all the advice!

I'm waiting for the paperwork to come through and then give my present employer three months notice. My intention then is to go to KSA alone and figure out what to do, with respect to schooling and accomodation. We have been talking about giving it 6-12 months for everyone to settle in and give the country a chance to win us over. If after this period no one is happy, maybe the family could relocate to Dubai to Cyprus and I'd travel 'home' at every opportunity (of > 2 or 3 days).

We're really going to have to play it all by ear!!

Title
      Administrator
      Liked
      891 times
      Rep
      From everyone I have talked to it does seem that the only way to make it work for a family is to live in a compound.
      Would love to know you views once you get there.
      Pink likes this.

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by Ktee View Post
      From everyone I have talked to it does seem that the only way to make it work for a family is to live in a compound.
      Would love to know you views once you get there.
      I'm still negotiating terms and conditions. No one said anything ever happens fast in KSA!

Title
      Administrator
      Liked
      891 times
      Rep
      Lol it's the same in Australia, it's only recently they know what email is lol.
      PaulM likes this.

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      It feels like I'm bartering for a rug at the medina in Tunis! It must be an Arab thing?!

Title
      Administrator
      Liked
      891 times
      Rep
      Lol well just keep bartering if it increases your pay