Welcome to British Expats Abroad
  • Results 1 to 8 of 8
    Like Tree5Likes
    • 1 Post By Andy Chapman
    • 1 Post By purple
    • 2 Post By purple
    • 1 Post By purple

    Thread: Hi everyone!!!

    1. #1

      Hi everyone!!!

      I'm 26 years old, currently living here in the UK. I work as a Purchase Ledger Clerk & am also studying for a internationally recognised ACCA accountant qualification.
      I have a US boyfriend who lives over in NYC. At the moment I only get to see him about 3 times a year for a maximum of 2 weeks for each visit. I have been seeing him for 4 years now & I'm finding it increasing difficult to leave him to come home after a visit. With this in mind we have decided that it's the right time for me to go over & move in with him.
      I was wondering if anyone could guide me in the right direction as regards how I go about doing this. I understand you need specialist skills in order to get an Employment visa & I'm not sure Accountancy skills really qualify. Are there any other options for me?? Please help as I'm desperate to make the move early next year.
      Thank you.

    2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979
    3. #2
      Andy Chapman
      Hi and welcome to B-A Katie.

      You may find it very difficult to get your green card to work in the US but then i don't really know much about it.

      Hopefully some-one will be along to give you a few more Answers.

      Katie likes this.

    4. #3
      Hi Andy, thanks for your welcome message & for your prompt reply. I'm not sure I can apply for a green card right now as I don't think they're available for UK citizens, tho I don't know for sure.

    5. #4
      Hey Katie,

      Options for you two to be togther here in the US?
      Simple really, get him to file a petition for a K-1 fiancee visa. Once it's granted and issued to you, you can come over here and marry him within the 90 day period.
      Or alternatively you get him to come to the UK and marry you and then he goes back and files a petition for a CR-1 to allow you to go back to the US and live as an LPR.

      Looking at what you said, any other options of coming here to live (without being married to a US citizen) are probably fairly limited at the moment.
      Unless you have half a million dollars to invest, a masters degree in something and have special skills, or the company you work for also has an office in the US and you are a manager there and they'll offer you an intracompany transfer, you're going to struggle.

      As for moving over here "early next year", exactly how early are you talking about?

      Bottom line, marrying him is your best bet. Afterall, you want to be together anyway, right?

      Hope that helps you.


      PS check out www.uscis.gov
      Katie likes this.

    6. #5
      Hi Purple!

      Thank you so, so much for your great reply. We do want to be together so it would definitely make sense to apply for the fiancee visa. More than anything I would marry for love (awwww!) but the fact that it means I'd beable to live with him would mean the world. Do you know anything about the costs & procedures involved? Also how long the process takes? Ideally I'd like to be with him as soon as possible & I definitely don't have that kind of money or those specialised skills to invest or take over with me. I'm not sure how to approach the subject tho, I don't want to force the idea of marriage if he's not ready. I know he loves me though so it shouldn't come too much of a surprise if I mention it! Thanks again. Your reply has been very useful for me.

    7. #6
      Hi Katie,

      First -
      USCIS - How Do I Bring My Fiancé(e) to the United States?

      Check that out.

      From what I read lately, processing times are generally considered to be 6-8 months for a K-1 from start to issue in London. It could be more could be less. I'm really not sure how accurate the figures are and you'd have to do a bit more research on that.
      Fee - $455.00. Not bad considering what you get out of it.

      Bear in mind that there will be a fee for almost every bit of paperwork you file with the USCIS. I-485 AOS, Biometrics, etc.

      I private messsaged you the rough process of how to file and what to expect. It's not as bad as it looks.

      Of course he'll marry you, why would you want to come here to be with him otherwise?!?

      Also, FYI I saw an update from another member on here today who successfully applied for and got approved a student visa that will let them reside here in the US for 2 years to study. It may be an option if you have the finances and would rather not get married. Check out the message and maybe you could get info from the poster of that one if it interests you.

      Do check out the uscis site though, it's good to look through and familiarize yourself with all the procedures and forms. If you think I can be of any help feel free to give me a shout on here and I'll do what I can in the way of advice.

      Private mesage is on its way so look out for it.

      All the best!

      Andy Chapman and Katie like this.

    8. #7
      Thanks so, so much for all of your help & advice Purps. I can't tell you how useful this could prove to be. The private post is equally helpful, I couldn't have asked for more. You have been great. Thanks again.

    9. #8
      Hey no problem Katie,
      you're welcome.

      Katie likes this.