Welcome to British Expats Abroad
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Results 1 to 10 of 14
    1. #1

      Title
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2015
      Posts
      1
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      ClahJenks is on a distinguished road

      Homesick for England for 20 years!!!

      Hi, I have lived in Australia for 20 years now and have wanted to go back to England for so long!!! I married an Aussie and I consider myself 'stuck'here. Anyway, I have just been really ill and have decided that I am going back no matter what. My husband has agreed to let me go. I have family that I can stay with, initially, but do not have a lot of money and am really nervous about the move. I have a 14 year old daughter that I am taking with me. I would really appreciate ANY advice I can get from you guys on here. Such as '"will I be entitled to any benefits'" or housing opportunities? I fully intend to get a job as soon as I possibly can!! I'm not going back to be a drain on the system. Please help. Thanks.

    2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979
    3. #2

      Title
      Moderator
      Join Date
      Mar 2011
      Posts
      602
      Liked
      210 times
      Rep
      tonyman is on a distinguished road
      Quote Originally Posted by ClahJenks View Post
      Hi, I have lived in Australia for 20 years now and have wanted to go back to England for so long!!! I married an Aussie and I consider myself 'stuck'here. Anyway, I have just been really ill and have decided that I am going back no matter what. My husband has agreed to let me go. I have family that I can stay with, initially, but do not have a lot of money and am really nervous about the move. I have a 14 year old daughter that I am taking with me. I would really appreciate ANY advice I can get from you guys on here. Such as '"will I be entitled to any benefits'" or housing opportunities? I fully intend to get a job as soon as I possibly can!! I'm not going back to be a drain on the system. Please help. Thanks.
      Hi Clah , sorry you have problems and issues ......i take it there is a lot more to it , is your daughter ok with leaving her Dad, what type of visa can you get if you want benifits in the UK ? I should imagine there is one hell of a queue for housing , if they know your staying with family it can take yrs.........keep your options open , you may just want to return to Oz within a few months .....good luck , hope things work out for you eventually ....

    4. #3

      Title
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 2015
      Posts
      8
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Willow is on a distinguished road
      Quote Originally Posted by ClahJenks View Post
      Hi, I have lived in Australia for 20 years now and have wanted to go back to England for so long!!! I married an Aussie and I consider myself 'stuck'here. Anyway, I have just been really ill and have decided that I am going back no matter what. My husband has agreed to let me go. I have family that I can stay with, initially, but do not have a lot of money and am really nervous about the move. I have a 14 year old daughter that I am taking with me. I would really appreciate ANY advice I can get from you guys on here. Such as '"will I be entitled to any benefits'" or housing opportunities? I fully intend to get a job as soon as I possibly can!! I'm not going back to be a drain on the system. Please help. Thanks.
      Been here 40 years and for many reasons I will never be able to return to the UK. Others who plan to come over should dig deep, and realize they may feel differently in years to come, and put in place a plan that will allow them to return if they desire to do so. I wish you every happiness on your return to the UK

    5. #4

      Title
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2016
      Posts
      13
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      pennyd is on a distinguished road
      You don't say whether you have been working in Australia or not?

      Finding a job in the UK is quite difficult. There isn't much around and working conditions are quite bad now. Many jobs are "zero hours contract" which basically means the employer will only have you working for the hours they want you to work, which can mean some weeks no work at all which means no pay.

      Getting benefits is a complete nightmare. They make your life a living hell and will quite often stop your benefits for no reason at all but they will make one up and you're left without any money.

      If you haven't got much money you may find coming back here quite difficult not just financially.

      Things have changed enormously over the last 20 years.

      I would not want to come and live here, I am hoping to leave ASAP because I have just had enough of our government and the people have changed so much, nothing like it used to be.

      Sorry to be a voice of doom and gloom but I think you need to take off the rose tinted glasses of what you think the UK is going to be like.

      To bring a 14 year old girl over here is also going to be quite difficult for her. This is a difficult age and to make her leave her friends behind and try to make new ones when they are already well established in the new school she'll be entering could be very hard for her. There is also mass unemployment for youngsters and most are lucky to get into an apprenticeship now (which is the only option of getting employment now for young people), which is equal to the lowest pay possible - £2.75 per hour - you try living on that! Most parents have to help pay for the young now - so is this what you want to do for her?

      House prices have rocketed so high that most young cannot get a place, rents are so high too - it really is a bad situation here.

      If you've been looking at house prices at all and you think they are cheap - then that's because they are in bad areas where no one would want to live. Crime is so high, even in good residential areas there is a lot more crime than there was a decade ago.

      Think carefully - what you think you want, may not be the right answer and may result in great unhappiness for you and anger from your daughter.

    6. #5

      Title
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 2015
      Posts
      8
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Willow is on a distinguished road
      Do you think things will improve if the UK leaves the EU ?

    7. #6

      Title
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2016
      Posts
      13
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      pennyd is on a distinguished road
      Quote Originally Posted by Willow View Post
      Do you think things will improve if the UK leaves the EU ?
      Hi Willow

      That's a hard one!

      I hope they will. I and my family, have voted to leave but I strongly believe the last election was rigged so I won't be surprised if the election comes out as stay due to that reason.

      Everyone I've met has said they are voting to leave - the older people are adamant about this! We remember things before we joined and are angry at having to pay 20% VAT (tax) on everything when it was only meant to be on luxury goods as the lying conservatives first told us!

      The EU costs the UK £365 million a week - that is a ridiculous amount to pay and I personally haven't benefited from anything - the rich landowners do as they are paid £millions in grants every year to not grow anything! How mad is that? I like English produce but we can't get it in the shops due to the enormous amount of EU stuff coming in which is not good, the majority of which is pretty tasteless.

      I think the immigration from the EU has caused big problems with finding jobs. Where I live, in the South, we have 20,000 eastern europeans in one small town! They take all the jobs at low pay. They also get paid family tax credit for the kids they have who don't even live in the UK?! So £millions are being sent abroad - not spent here. Doesn't make sense.

      What do you think Willow?

    8. #7

      Title
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 2015
      Posts
      8
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Willow is on a distinguished road
      Quote Originally Posted by pennyd View Post
      Hi Willow

      That's a hard one!

      I hope they will. I and my family, have voted to leave but I strongly believe the last election was rigged so I won't be surprised if the election comes out as stay due to that reason.

      Everyone I've met has said they are voting to leave - the older people are adamant about this! We remember things before we joined and are angry at having to pay 20% VAT (tax) on everything when it was only meant to be on luxury goods as the lying conservatives first told us!

      The EU costs the UK £365 million a week - that is a ridiculous amount to pay and I personally haven't benefited from anything - the rich landowners do as they are paid £millions in grants every year to not grow anything! How mad is that? I like English produce but we can't get it in the shops due to the enormous amount of EU stuff coming in which is not good, the majority of which is pretty tasteless.

      I think the immigration from the EU has caused big problems with finding jobs. Where I live, in the South, we have 20,000 eastern europeans in one small town! They take all the jobs at low pay. They also get paid family tax credit for the kids they have who don't even live in the UK?! So £millions are being sent abroad - not spent here. Doesn't make sense.

      What do you think Willow?
      I think the UK should have got out years ago. IF nothing else you have to look at the size of the UK you cant just keep pouring more and more people into such a small land mass. No child will end up well educated when you have 2/3 of the class unable to speak English, hospitals will fail under the pressure of to many patients for doctors to cope with, welfair will fail as there will be more people on welfair as they cant find jobs and people will end up fighting as they try to protect what they see as their home. I hate to even think of what the future holds if the OUT vote fails. Just my personal opinion of course but the people I talk to are really concerned about loosing there identity, they dont want to live in a melting pot of multipul cultures they want their own culture and traditions preserved. Cameron says the UK should stay and fight for a better deal for the UK but one has to question if this were possible why has Cameron not achieved a better deal already.

    9. #8

      Title
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2016
      Posts
      13
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      pennyd is on a distinguished road
      Quote Originally Posted by Willow View Post
      I think the UK should have got out years ago. IF nothing else you have to look at the size of the UK you cant just keep pouring more and more people into such a small land mass. No child will end up well educated when you have 2/3 of the class unable to speak English, hospitals will fail under the pressure of to many patients for doctors to cope with, welfair will fail as there will be more people on welfair as they cant find jobs and people will end up fighting as they try to protect what they see as their home. I hate to even think of what the future holds if the OUT vote fails. Just my personal opinion of course but the people I talk to are really concerned about loosing there identity, they dont want to live in a melting pot of multipul cultures they want their own culture and traditions preserved. Cameron says the UK should stay and fight for a better deal for the UK but one has to question if this were possible why has Cameron not achieved a better deal already.
      Every time Cameron opens his mouth, he lies. He is corrupt to the core. It was the corrupt conservatives that took us in to the EU. I sincerely hope Cameron and Osborne are made to resign if we do leave, but I won't hold my breath!

    10. #9

      Title
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 2015
      Posts
      8
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Willow is on a distinguished road
      I just find so many of his reasons for staying in dont make sense. You need to stay in because basically you will go broke economically as you will loose trade with the EU. From what you say is it not the other way around, the EU needs the UK to sell product to ? What about other countries take Aus for example, we are not part of any "group" and are one of the most isolated countries in the world yet we trade with places like China 8 hours fly time away, NZ, Canada and many other countries and we are doing OK despite what the LNP would have you believe. The UK has good soil and good farming knowledge I am sure prices would come down if you were selling more of your own product to the British people.

      Although he did have some issues, Tony Abbotts decision to "stop the boats" will in time go down as one of the best decisions in history. We appear to be a huge nation that should be taking thousends of refugees but in fact our habitable land mass is very small. Our main population live on the coast simply because the center of Aus is to hot and to dry to live there. We live just 2.5 hours from the coast and struggle to grow food in the soil,so we have to build raised veggie beds and fill them with bought soil. We have town water but we also have several large tanks to catch rain water in case the dams run dry in a major drought so that gives you an idea of what it is like several hundred Kms from the coast.

      You can only take the amount of extra people your land and economy can support.

    11. #10

      Title
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2016
      Posts
      13
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      pennyd is on a distinguished road
      What I find most mystifying about the whole migration of these refugees from the Middle East is why the other rich countries, who have enormous wealth from oil sales, like Saudi Arabia, UAE, etc are not giving them refuge - in luxury camps, as they can afford this - and helping them. What on earth is going on? They are all meant to be muslims and one thing they are meant to believe is that all muslims are all brothers and sisters. So this whole mess seems something strange is going on.

      I feel very sorry for the refugees as they have lost everything so they do have to move on and I certainly wouldn't want to be in that position.

      I guess the USA and UK are largely responsible for the mess due to their starting the illegal war in Iraq on false grounds, known to those in power to be lies but who is behind the lies - Israel? Is this all down to them, as they have so many jews in government and I do believe they are working to an agenda to help Israel, look at how much money is given to Israel, even now by many countries and that doesn't include the enormous amount of money also being sent by the jews in the world, many of whom are billionaires - like Philip Green, who pays no tax in the UK for any of his businesses and was made a lord by Cameron, so he's even ruling over us now! This is all so wrong and worrying.

      I'm amazed you cannot grow anything in your soil - that's a sad situation for you. Can you not add compost to the soil to improve it?

     

     
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast