Welcome to British Expats Abroad
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Willow is on a distinguished road
      I read somewhere that the Middle East wont take the refugees because " it would damage their economy" as most are not skilled. Just so many problems in the world it is becoming a sad place.

No it is the nature of our soil you would have to bring in truck loads of top soil and even then as roots go down onto the earth they would hit this black clay. It is like glue when wet and rock hard when dry, and it is patchy so it can change texture in a matter of metres.

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      pennyd is on a distinguished road
      Gosh, damage their economy - that's taking religion to a whole new level. Such a shame for the poor people and children involved in all of this though. I feel so sad for them.

lol - you've got a clay problem too - so have we !! We have grey clay and like you, it's patchy ! When we first moved to this house the "garden" was a real mess. Very overgrown and lots of trees - I went to a garden centre after removing a lot of the weeds and started digging to plant my lovely new plants and kept finding areas where I couldn't get a spade in very well and thick stuff was coming out! So every plant had to have a much bigger whole dug and I had to buy bags of soil to plant them all.

Nothing lived?! I'm not the worlds best gardener and have had no luck in planting vegetables ever but we kept trying but have now accepted it is time to give up and do something else !!

We live on a hill and the house was built on a flat area that they dug out but they left the gardens so they all go uphill - it is a nightmare. I will never buy a house on a hill ever again !! lol

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Willow is on a distinguished road
      LOL we live on a slope not really a hill, but yes they dug out a flat section for the house. There is a mound interesting as it is red clay we have planted protesa on it, so we think maybe 4 or 5 metres down it is red clay which is better. We find it takes plants at least 2 to 3 years to start growing IF they dont die, but they have to be plants with deep roots which wipes out any hope of growing veggies or plants with surface roots. Very limited in what will grow though. Only thing we dont have an issue with is tomates they self seed and grow like weeds. W.e have just over 1/2 acre so quite a job

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      monalott is on a distinguished road
      I have operated a successful business in England,Scotland & Spain.My family left UK because we were not only standing still,no matter how hard we worked,but were going backwards.Now retired in an affluent small town north of Alicante.I know which side my bread is buttered.Our town of about 15000 residents has,unbelievably,38 different nationalities.We all get along sharing our own national cultural events.As a resident Brit.I am in a minority,mostly Scandinavians,Dutch & Germans.We foreigners outnumber the Spanish as well!I can sit on the fence since I have a Spanish pension & a tiny British one.But I can compare my life with my equally aged siblings who have never either been self.employed or emigrated from a prosperous city in the south of England.Last week my sister said how she passed about 12 ambulances waiting to access the hospital(I think it was reported on TV)when she had an appointment.She was lucky to even get a quick appointment with her GP.Meanwhile I am chased up by my health clinic who reminds me that I have not booked my annual urine/blood test & ECG,& am lax at attending the nurse for monthly weight & blood pressure.There are Policeman walking around,I can empty my rubbish anytime,in bins for everything including cooking oil,used batteries etc.& no dirty bin lorries around as the containers are all in chutes underground & lifted out during night hours.On Sunday our main streets are powerwashed,but understandable as it is a hot climate.Likewise the manhole covers are removed & the drains disinfected.The tax I pay annually for this is (town)138 euros +40 euros for the rubbish collection.The downside people may quite rightly say is that there is VERY LITTLE welfare.You do not get paid for looking for a job when you leave school,unemployed must have paid into the system & it is limited,no payment for producing children,you may often have to pay for school books each year for your offspring,"the real Spain" is little mountain villages,not acres of council housing schemes which(my opinion) is "the real England",no free bus pass.I get 15 cents off a journey,one route,but I had to get my photo done & then pay 10 euros to get my card & the price rises if there is a general increase.Quite apart from all that,I am aware that if there is a "leave" vote we will not allow our young generations to experience life globally.People say"well we emigrated before".True,because we came to Spain before that country was in the EU,so there were no cozy regulations to give us any rights.It was hard,believe me.I see that the British have 2 problems that we must come to grips with.One is,no ID cards.I cannot even get money from my bank without proving who I am.The other is our abysmal record in speaking languages.Children born here may have a Father from Belgium,a Mother from Norway.Each of these are familiar with other languages.They all speak Spanish & good English.As an employer,who am I going to favour to assist my business?The migrants who have swarmed into Europe are not Europeans.If you think leaving the EU club will stop them I think you are very wrong.And as someone here on the ground ,regardless of what you read in British newspapers,the Continentals will & do,blame us for throwing a tantrum,instead of staying & sorting out a better system.

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12