Welcome to British Expats Abroad
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Results 1 to 10 of 12
    1. #1

      i wna be in america

      hi, i NEED ADVICE!! iM English and looking to live in the US next year with my boyfriend who is an american citizen. all the visas confuse the hell out of me. HELP!!

    2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979
    3. #2

      i wna be in america

      he can sponsor me?? i havent heard of that to be honest, ive been looking at jobs that sponsor, but we werent aware that an actual person can sponsor someone. what do i have to do? thanks for replying so quick!!!

    4. #3
      Andy Chapman
      First of all let me welcome you to Brits abroad Sam.
      I have done a google search and the link is below,
      now it's up to you so good luck.



    5. #4
      Hi samaica.

      My understanding is that you have to be engaged to be married and apply for a fiance visa. I don't think they'll give you a visa if you're his girlfriend.


      The USCIS and USAgov sites give the official info.

      What about the employer sponsor option? Do you have an employer that does international transfers or a profession that they're looking for here?

    6. #5
      well, im looking at jobs, but i dont have a special profession to be honest. i have a diploma in media and work as front of house, receptionist or cunstomer service. i have some beauty experience, but not enough. ive been looking into jobs like that....do i need a special profession???

    7. #6


      Hi samaica :)

      I'm also new here and it seems we are both in the same boat! My boyfriend is American and I've been trying to find a way of getting out there for the past few months. As traveller has said, being a girlfriend isn't "enough" to get a visa for the US..

      It's SO frustrating isn't it?

      I posted a list of the entry requirements on another thread here (oops, I can't remember which one tho!)

      If I find any quick fixes, I'll be sure to let you know - as long as you promise to do the same!

      ~ Hope

    8. #7
      Figured I'd be just as well posting the list on here too. Makes for depressing reading I'm afraid...
      Let's never lose hope though!
      ~ Hope

      There are basically NINE ways that you can get a visa to live and work in the US:

      (1) Marriage (or engagement in anticipation of marriage) to a US citizen.

      (2) You have skills that are in short supply in the US e.g. scientific or medical training. A degree is normally a must. Or you have superior specialist skills with at least 12 years experience.

      (3) You have an Employer who is willing to transfer you - but even the employer has to make a good case for you - so you have to be a manager unless you fall under category (2) above.

      (4) You may get a Green card in the diversity lottery (UK citizens, except N.Ireland, are not generally eligible unless you, your spouse or parents were born abroad or held a different citizenship.

      (5)You own or buy business (does not get you permanent resident status i.e. no green card) You must be a national of a qualifying Treaty countries. The business must have a minimum value of around $150k (more the better) bearing in mind you will need somewhere to live and with any startup business you will need at least 2 years living money as back up. So a figure of $350k would be a nearer minimum

      (6)You are an "investor" i.e. you have at least US $1m in assets to bring with you. half of that in a few areas. And your background will be investigated to the hilt.

      (7)You have a close relative (mother, father, brother, sister and no further) who is an US citizen who would sponsor you, approx time this take 2-12 years?

      (8.The R1 visa is available to foreign members of religious denominations, having bona fide non-profit religious organizations in the U.S., for entering the U.S. to carry on the activities of a minister or religious worker as a profession, occupation or vocation

      (9)THE UNUSUAL You are in a position to claim refugee status/political asylum. or You get a member of Congress to sponsor a private bill with legislation that applies just to you.
      The S visa issued to persons who assist US law enforcement to investigate and prosecute crimes and terrorist activities such as money laundering and organized crime

    9. #8
      thanks for that....yes, that is a bit dis heartening, but i think ill do the holiday visa for now for 6 months. maybe my boyfriend will ask me to marry him, who knows.

    10. #9
      but yeah, you keep me posted and ill defo keep u posted too on anything i find out. my boyfriend is visiting me next week, he has some stuff on his computer so if its interesting and helpful, ill let u know!!

    11. #10
      Lucky you getting a visit from him - I'm a bit jealous!! ;)
      I'm with you on the marriage thing - my b/f and I have both talked about it.. but the question hasn't been asked ...yet!

      Have a great time with him next week - and if you can share anything I'd be grateful.



  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast