Like Tree20Likes

Thread: A New Life in Nova Scotia

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Buster12 is on a distinguished road
      Hey There,

just read your entry. We are considering a move to NS next year. We have two young children and are just starting to compile as much info as possible. How are you doing 2 years down the line? How are you finding NS, weather, communities, transition from uk etc.

Would really appreciate any feedback, good and bad,

Thanks

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979

Title
      Liked
      2 times
      Rep
      Cornishgirl is on a distinguished road
      Hi Buster12.
      I have been living in Nova Scotia for most of the 40 years I have been in Canada and love it here. Maritimers are very friendly and helpful people. I must admit winters were a bit of a shock at first, but one soon gets used to them. Roads are cleared of snow very quickly, so a snowstorm doesn't keep us from going about our normal business for very long. Halifax is a vibrant city with plenty of things to do and different festivals throughout the year; for example, the Buskers, which is great for children. There are also a lot of sports activities like ice hockey and soccer (footie) that they can get involved in. Coming from Cornwall, it suits me just fine here, as I can't bear being too far from the sea. It is a beautiful province, great for exploring in the warmer months.
      Wendy L.

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Buster12 is on a distinguished road
      Hi Wendy, thanks for that. That's encouraging to hear, my wife travels over in a few weeks to chat to some employers and get a feel for the place. She is staying in Halifax, I guess she will sample the winter first hand!. Is a commute from say Kentville to Halifax unreasonable? We like our own space as opposed to city livimg? I have read some blogs that say the locals don't always welcome in outsiders. Is there any truth in this? Does it vary around the province?
      I appreciate the response especially considering your time spent in NS,

Thanks again

Title
      Liked
      2 times
      Rep

A New Life in Nova Scotia

The commute from Kentville to Halifax is around an hour and ten minutes--nice drive in summer but not so great in winter, although highways are a priority for clearing. Kentville is situated in what is known as the Valley and is a lovely little town. Summers are a little warmer than on the coast, but generally get more snow in the winter. The Valley is well known for its orchards and wineries as well as a very good university.

This winter so far has been harsher than usual with way more snow than in the past several years, but this is not the norm. Tomorrow is going to be -18C, but again this is unusual for Nova Scotia. Fortunately, temps like this last only a few days, so hopefully it will be much more reasonable for your wife's visit. Tell her to bring a warm coat and boots, however. If she needs any advice or help while here, don't hesitate to post where she may be contacted, and I will be touch.

Wendy L.

Title
      North Vancouver, BC 4 yrs, now Niagara region, Ontario for over a year
      Liked
      19 times
      Rep
      blackcomb is on a distinguished road
      -40 Ottawa gets to so am glad I don't live there, too cold for me.. and it gets past -18 here in Ontario where I am too, but didn't feel as bad as I anticipated, though for sure it feels cold at this temp the other day too -18 is a bit cold for sure, beautiful though and we always get a white Christmas here which is great too. Nova Scotia does sound nice and seems mild like Vancouver, BC for it's winters (UK climate).

Buster, in the UK some locals don't always welcome outsiders either, my parents had that problem as did others in Norfolk when they first moved there some years ago, am sure it's a case of some are friendlier than others, which is everywhere. Am sure when you get there you will find your friendly and your not so friendly folk too, but am sure the poster in NS can enlighten as to what she has found while there..
      Though have to admit, the friendliest place I've been over here is definitely in the Rockies, Alberta, went on a few road trips there from BC and always a nice time, went shopping in a local supermarket in Banff and they looked at me at the til, the guy and his friend and when I went to pay for it he just told me it's paid for take it.. ? Told him I was not a tourist and fine with paying, he said it's okay it's paid for, just take it.. sweeet! x These things tend to stick, plus locals in Jasper and Banff were telling me to go to the local hospital right away to get a job and stay there, ha! if only it were that simple then I would have, registration for each province as a nurse takes time, not too painful but definitely takes a bit of time, I am semi registered for Alberta now though as it happens. I wouldn't rule out moving there, I always loved the place and if I ever moved anywhere again over here it would be there for sure. Got a few friends from there too, one that lives there (a skier and rockclimber too).
      Last edited by blackcomb; 02-01-2014 at 01:02 AM.

Title
      Liked
      13 times
      Rep
      GoingKamping is on a distinguished road
      Hi Buster,

Thanks for posting on my thread. Things didn't go to plan for us in Nova Scotia back in 2011. We came over on temporary work permits - which was something I didn't want to do - and it all went wrong. Unfortunately we ended up with a terrible employer who really took advantage of my partner who was working 70+ a week on little over minimum wage, with no overtime. It was awful and they just thought that as our permits were tied to them that they could do whatever they wanted and we would just put up with it. We lasted just over 5 months and were told by immigration that our residency would be at least another 6 months before it came so we went home. We could have tried to get another permit but that involves leaving and re-entering the country and by that point we were so worn down we just wanted out.

Typically, our residency came a month after we went home!!!!! If we had known then we would have stuck it out, but everything happens for a reason I guess. I never wanted to return to Canada ever again after our experience but we had to go back to activate our residency visas or all the money we had spent gaining residency would have been wasted. After that trip we felt better about things and started to think about trying again but we really didn't know where we wanted to be.

So, in May of 2013 we flew back to Halifax and started our adventure. We bought a caravan and started exploring. We spent a couple of months in Nova Scotia whilst we got ourselves sorted, but really we had explored it a lot on previously. We spent 3 months in Ontario, then winter was coming so we needed somewhere to live as it would be too cold for the caravan. We spent a little while in Winnipeg but have ended up in Golden, BC in the Rockies. Come spring we will be heading to Vancouver and then the Yukon, Alaska, NWT and Nunavut hopefully!

My advice would be to get residency first if you can so that you're free to work for whoever you want. Personally I think a commute from Kentville to Halifax would become very wearing, especially in winter. I know people who moved to New Glasgow and were never really accepted into the community, they never found work and ended up moving to Dartmouth. I also know people who moved to a rural area just outside Windsor and again they were never accepted in over 4 years, so eventually moved to Ontario. It can be hard fitting in to a new community but there is a good FB site where expats will give advice and meet up with you. I also know a really lovely realtor if you are thinking of buying but pretty much everyone will tell you to rent first. Both couples I mentioned earlier bought properties and have really struggled to sell them.

I would also say that you really need to both head over to see how you find things. If you have kids then take them too, explore as much as possible so you can really get a feel for the place. I love Halifax and personally wouldn't want to live more than an hour away from it. Nova Scotia is lovely and there are lots of Brits there who can help you and offer advice. As for winter I think it's more like the UK as it's practically an island so is affected by the oceans. It will get colder than the UK and is one of the wetter provinces. Since leaving NS we've hardly seen rain at all!!! Here in the Rockies we got down to -27 one weekend. It was cold, but it was OK - it's not a damp cold like in the UK where it really gets into your bones. In NS they get a lot more problems with ice, in fact I've never seen ice like it!

We only stopped here in Golden by accident but were told we should stay for the winter by the locals as it's such a lovely place and that is what we ended up doing. It's a pretty small place but everyone is friendly - probably helped by all the tourists they get through so they are used to new people, certainly a farming area where everyone knows everyone else and they have all lived there forever would be different and something to consider.

Title
      Liked
      2 times
      Rep
      Hi GoingKamping.

Sorry it didn't work out for you in Nova Scotia: I can't believe that company would take advantage of you like that. Despicable! However, it sounds as if you're having a ball exploring this great country! I'm sure Buster and his family will appreciate your giving such a detailed description of your reactions and what you know of others who have immigrated here.
      I tend to agree with you that outsiders are not always made to feel as welcome in the rural areas here, as many of them are very close-knit communities. That's why I prefer living in Dartmouth which I have always found to be a very friendly place. Of course, my hubby was in the navy, so we have a lot of military friends in the area. I also think involvement in various sporting activities with the kids over the years has certainly helped make us feel more at home.
      Hope all will go well for you.
      Wendy L.

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Nicola is on a distinguished road
      Hiya,

Myself, partner and our 2 year old want to move there too on a PR. We were all set to make the move but as I want to have another baby Asap as we thought we'd wait a few years as I was worried about medical bills! Where abouts are you? We have been looking at Fall River, we are coming out for a few weeks in the summer to have a look as we haven't been to Canada yet, id love to hear more from you and your experiences. We are from Yorkshire. Thanks Nic.

Title
      Liked
      2 times
      Rep
      Hi Nicola.

Fall River is a very nice area with some lovely houses and all modern amenities, yet has the feeling of being in the country. The commute to downtown Halifax is around 20 minutes on the highway by car or around 45 taking public transportation.

We live in Dartmouth, which is just across the harbour from Halifax. We like it because it is very convenient (a 10-minute drive to downtown Halifax) but a little quieter. There are some very nice housing developments here, although the lots aren't as big as those available in Fall River.

If you will be working in Halifax, than Dartmouth would certainly be the better bet, especially in winter. We have had a gruelling one this year, still getting pounded with ice pellets, etc., making the drive in from outlying areas like Fall River a bit hairy. However, they do clear the roads quite quickly here, so they are usually driveable with care after a bad storm.

Be sure to post again if you have any more questions.

Wendy L.

Title
      Liked
      8 times
      Rep
      lozzie is on a distinguished road
      Hi

i lived in Nova Scotia for just over 6 yrs loved it there. Not sure where in NS you are, but there is a place in bedford and halifax called peters you can get a few of your english favorites there. Im not living in Alberta about 45mins from jasper. I miss the ocean but oh well thats life

• Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345