Welcome to British Expats Abroad

Thread: Newbie

Title
      Liked
      10 times
      Rep
      Toedown is on a distinguished road

Hello, just joined, I'm a truck driver and I was born & bred in Cornwall moved to Canada 7yrs ago on April 12th.

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979

Title
      Liked
      210 times
      Rep
      tonyman is on a distinguished road
      Quote Originally Posted by Toedown View Post
      Hello, just joined, I'm a truck driver and I was born & bred in Cornwall moved to Canada 7yrs ago on April 12th.
      Hello Toedown , welcome to the forum .............I`m just about to start my HR lessons using the Synchro . A change of career for me from pipe welding , can you give me any tips ect should I do the lessons in work boots or trainers ?

Title
      Liked
      10 times
      Rep
      Hello Toneyman,
      What's HR ?? What's Synchro ?? Trainers.

Title
      Liked
      210 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by Toedown View Post
      Hello Toneyman,
      What's HR ?? What's Synchro ?? Trainers.
      ???? hey I`m a novice but done some homework .......what kind of truck do you drive ?? this is what I will be driving , was looking for some tips but not to worry .........Name:  HRsynchromesh.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  44.0 KBName:  HRsynchromesh.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  44.0 KBI will educate you instead ......

Synchromesh Heavy Rigid

The Next class of Heavy Rigid is a truck Fitted with a synchromesh gearbox. The truck still has lots of gears, but it is much easier to change those gears than a "Road Ranger" Gearbox. Most European Heavy Rigid Trucks are equipped with a synchromesh gearbox.
      The Synchromesh is a restricted licence in that you can only drive Heavy Rigid trucks and prime movers fitted with a synchromesh gearbox as well as those fitted with an automatic transmission.

Title
      Liked
      10 times
      Rep
      Hey Tony, HaHaHa, sorry about that, what country are you in ?????

Title
      Liked
      210 times
      Rep
      Australia Toedown , from Manchester ...the blue side ...........

Title
      Liked
      10 times
      Rep
      AAAAAAHHHHHHH, Oz, right, that explains it.
      I've never heard of Heavy Rigid before.
      In the UK a rigid is a 2/3/4 axle truck that don't bend and a bendy one is an Articulated Truck or Lorry.
      Here in Canada a rigid is the same as the UK but is known by the amount of axles, eg. Tandem, Tridem, Quad.
      Your pictures are showing a Tri-axle Tractor Unit (UK), or a Tridem Semi Tractor (Canada).
      I do know what a Synchro-box is, as virtually every truck in Europe has them, or Auto's now.
      That's why I asked where you are because N America is way way behind the times.
      A truck driver here doesn't know what a Synchro box is, they still only have "crash boxes" Eaton/Fuller, 9/10/12/13 & 18 speed, but do have some auto's here now.
      I now drive an 18 speed auto Freightliner Cascadia but only a day-cab as I only do local work.
      The trucks in your pictures look like Volvo's, VN640., if it's got the same spec as the European, it's got a 290 or 320hp engine with the 10speed synchro box.
      Having never driven in Oz, I've no idea what advice I could give you except, put your pedal to the metal, keep your elbows in & watch out for those Roo's.

Good luck on your training & test.

Title
      North Vancouver, BC 4 yrs, now Niagara region, Ontario for over a year
      Liked
      19 times
      Rep
      blackcomb is on a distinguished road
      Welcome. Alberta I like, especially the Rockies, friendliest Canadians ever, loved my road trips there from BC, almost did a move there but happy where I am now. Though will always love the Rockies!

Title
      Liked
      10 times
      Rep
      We're only 1 1/2 hrs drive from Canmore/Banff andgothere for the day 4 or 5 times a year.
      Here in High River we can clearly see the Rockies and my yard at work overlooks them.
      Last summer we took a 3 day, 1800km road trip going from High River, south to HWY3 and west to Nelson BC for the first night. The 2nd day we headed west to Osoyoos BC then up the Okanagan Valley up to Kelowna, where we stayed the 2nd night. The 3rd day we headed north up to Sicamous then east back to Calgary on HWY1.
      Fantastic trip & views.
      This summer we are hoping to do a similar trip only carrying on HWY3 at Osoyoos to Vancouver, then Vancouver back to Kamloops via HWY1 Fraser Canyon and up to Jasper, then back down through the Ice-field Parkway and back home.
      I think Kelowna would be my first choice of places to live over here but there's very little work for me there.
      Good use of grammar, punctuation & capitals makes the difference between helping your uncle Jack, off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.