Thread: Planning a new life

Title
      Liked
      9 times
      Rep
      Beckyr is on a distinguished road

Huh? Planning a new life

Hi all

So very scary thoughts for the future, in process of going through a plan to move to New York State to live with my American boyfriend, leaving all friends and family behind

Decided to join this forum as I seem to be overloaded with conflicting information and I am concerned about getting this process finished in the quickest time possible

Oh - and may not be able to rehome my dog, so not just furniture needed to be transported!!!!

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979
      purple
      Hi, and welcome to britsabroad :)

So you're moving to New York State, or just considering it at the moment? It's a nice place when you get upstate from New York City. What kind of time-frame are you looking at, wnad what type of visa will you be on?

Feel free to ask for information or look through our "America" section.

:)
      All the best-
      purps

Title
      Liked
      9 times
      Rep
      Beckyr is on a distinguished road
      Hi purps

My boyfriend lives in New York State so I will move in with him. I am hoping to be over before the end of this year because we have had a long distance relationship for a few years now and I feel life is way too short to wait any longer. If those timescales are too short, then early next year if poss.

Regarding visa - our thoughts at the moment is for me to come over with a fiance visa, but I need to work out if that allows me to work, or if I have to apply for another visa as well.

I will have loads of questions, but I will try to read previous threads first, rather than asking the same questions again.

thanks for the welcome

Becky

purple
      Hey Becky,

If you're going to come over here on a Fiancee visa before the end of the year, then you'll need to get moving with it. Simply put, the sooner it's in process the sooner you'll get your interview for your visa. :)
      When you enter the USA on the Fiancee visa you'll have 90 days in which to get married. Once you're married and you apply for your AOS to permanent resident, you can apply for a EAD (to allow you to work while your adjustement is being processed) and as soon as that's issued you'll be able to work. The process is relatively simple as long as you follw the steps and file the paperwork in the right order.

purps
      Ktee likes this.

Title
      Administrator
      Liked
      897 times
      Rep
      Ktee is on a distinguished road
      Welcome to the forum Becky, it sounds very exciting but also a little frightening to leave everything that you know behind. We have all been through the process and you get to a stage where you wonder if you are doing the right thing.
      I hope everything works out for you and I am sure you will be very happy.