Welcome to British Expats Abroad
      Chikoboo

Returning back the UK from New Zealand

I moved to New Zealand back in 2008 to live with my fiance (he is a kiwi native and now my husband) as he had a house with a mortgage and a very good job to support us both, never the less I got a working visa and have paid my way up to permanent resident visa status and was loving my life here until we went back to visit my mother who lives on her own and I felt that I should be there to help her more. So now we are faced with a dilemma how do I start? my husband is 47 years old so isn't entitled to a working visa so if we was to go back he wouldn't be able to work? and what about this new ruling where to bring him in under a spouse visa I have to be settled in the country (ie with a house be it rented or owned) and earning over $18,500 to be able to do this would mean me flying back on my own (which is not possible as I am a nervous flier and it takes my husband to calm me each time I board a plane) Is there anyway we can live in the UK together whilst applying for the visa under a visitor visa or something I mean he has been my husband for over 4 years now. I know my line of work will easily bring in or most definately above the $18,500 needed but I have to be there to apply for work and attend interviews. We also won't be going back until at least next April so that we have quite a substantial nest egg to get us started there and cover our costs whilst I look for work. I'm confused on what to do first and what would be legal, it doesn't seem fair that I can't live in the country I was born in with my family and have my husband with me. The annoying thing is we both know people there who have said that we would be more than welcomed to stay and work for and we will be paying our taxes to the fat cats so whats the problem, surely having a couple who are willing to pay interests to the failling banks through potential mortgage and bank account, and the tax man out of our wages is better than letting in asylum seekers who won't. Sorry I got a little ranty there but its a mindfield and I really do feel out of my depth and the whole situation where I want to be with my husband but I also want to be back with my mother to help her is tearing me to pieces. I have read many forums about this but all they say is get in contact with an immigration advisor but they are expensive!!

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979

Title
      Liked
      209 times
      Rep
      Pink is on a distinguished road
      (((hugs))) I can understand your rant, I have a similar one going on right now

I am afraid I don't know much at all about UK immigration, have you looked here? From knowing a little about US spouse visas I doubt you would need an immigration solicitor unless your husband has a criminal background.

As for coming over to look for a job, can you husband not come over as a visitor with you? Then go back to NZ until you have everything organised and the visa is sorted? That is the norm for the US, families are known to have been separated for 6-12months, not ideal I know but it's often the way it has to be.

Have you looked into the option of your mother moving to NZ?