Welcome to British Expats Abroad
  • Results 1 to 5 of 5
    1. #1

      Moving To Canada Help


      First let me take this time to thank you for reading my post and offering any information or help you can give.

      My name is Carl, 25 and engaged to a Canadian girl. We both live over here in the uk, but due to home sickness and me visiting over there a few times we really want to go to Canada. Her mum has lived in Canada over 30 years and was born in the uk herself. I been doing some research into visa and there is two ways for me to get over, sponsored and skilled work visa. I am really leaning towards the sponsored visa as it means if i want to do something different then electrician over in Canada i can. Now as we are not currently married but are planning to wed this year or next i was wondering how about i go in filling out the application form. Will they still consider us because we are getting married, or do we have to wait until we are man and wife. So i was wondering if anyone has gone through the same process or the engagement/wedding or have any experience with the sponsor visa application process. how long it takes to process, questions etc. As i don't really want to waste any time by filling in the wrong application or filling in the application to early.

      Information on websites or people to contact will also be a great help. I have thought about going down to London and speaking to the Canadian embassy and see if they can give me any information

      I believe i should be find getting into Canada

      I have :-

      Electrical qualifications
      Under 30
      No Health problems
      Speak English
      No criminal Record
      Place to stay in Canada(gfs mum house)

      Again would like to say thanks in advance for any help or information


    2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979
    3. #2

      Join Date
      Feb 2011
      897 times
      Ktee is on a distinguished road
      Have you lived together 12 months and is she a citizen? If so why not apply for the common-law partner visa. Where are you heading in Canada, I've lived in Ontario and its gorgeous.

      Under the Common-Law Partner visa, Canadian citizens and permanent residents who are living in Canada can apply to sponsor their common-law partner and eligible dependent children. This visa allows applicants who have been residing with their qualifying Canadian partners for a period of 1 year or more in an ongoing relationship the opportunity to be sponsored. Applicants and their partner need to be in a genuine and continuing relationship and intend to live together in Canada.
      The Canadian partner must be willing to live in Canada with the applicant once the visa is granted, and must be capable of supporting the applicant without accessing public funds. Once granted, the common-law partner will be given permanent residence and the right to join their sponsoring partner in Canada.

      Common-Law Partner Visa Basic Requirements

      To apply for the Common-Law Partner visa, applicants must provide evidence of an ongoing and genuine relationship and have resided together at a common address for at least 1 year, with a Canadian citizen or permanent resident living in Canada. Both same-sex and opposite sex couples are eligible for this visa. The sponsor must also sign an undertaking to provide for all of the applicant's basic needs for a period of 3 years from the partner's arrival to Canada. In addition, all common-law partners must undergo health and character checks prior to their arrival.

      Common-Law Partner Visa Entitlements

      A common-law partner who is granted permanent residence under the Family Class will have the right to live, work and study in Canada indefinitely. Permanent residents can access Canada's unique government-funded health care, subsidized education, language training programs and assistance for finding employment. Additional benefits of Canadian permanent residence include eligibility for Canada Pension Plan Benefits, Old Age Security and Guaranteed Income Supplement and the option to participate in retirement plans such as Registered Retirement Savings Plans (RRSP). Together with the many freedoms associated with permanent residence is the ability to apply for Canadian citizenship.

    4. #3

      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jul 2012
      1 times
      jemssmith29 is on a distinguished road
      Hello all,

      I am jamessmith.I never travel in Canada but i think Tornoto is the best place to visit here and i am planning to travel here with friends.


    5. #4

      Join Date
      Mar 2011
      Kitchener, Ontario Canada
      77 times
      twinsmom65 is on a distinguished road
      Just a quick heads up about your qualifications as an Electrician, you may have to sit the Red Seal exam. All electricians in Canada are Red Sealed.



    6. #5
      nice topic. im from philippines, civil angineer but working at the bureau of fire since 2008. i wish to work in canada as firefighter or any job that fits me. hope somebody could give me an employer. need brilliant advice, thank you!