Welcome to British Expats Abroad
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
      Country Folk
      You want to think about what you want to do for a living. Princeton is a long way out from Vancouver and not much there.

Rent before you buy as well. Gives way more flexibility. We had a new neighbor move in and has done nothing but moan about people smoking - In our own apartment would you believe or on our own deck! The dozy woman even called the police would you believe :policeman: She reckoned the smoke was permeating through the walls and was harming her kid. I think it was her smoking something We've been here 20 years and she's been here 5 minutes telling us what to do.

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979

Title
      North Vancouver, BC 4 yrs, now Niagara region, Ontario for over a year
      Liked
      19 times
      Rep
      blackcomb is on a distinguished road
      Poor woman! is all I can say. Another selfish smoker who does not care about anyone else's health not even their own which is fine but at least have some consideration for the harmful effects of 2nd hand smoke to non-smokers who choose not to do so nor breathe others in, or have it inflicted on them. I do not blame her at all for taking any action she can to eliminate it from her personal space and living environment, rightfully. BC law states 2nd hand smoke affecting you comes under neighbours affecting your peaceful environment so if I were her I'd take it as far as she can, or better still speak to 'considerate neighbour' to negotiate and not inflict it on them.
      At least have some consideration for the innocent baby too! In case you did not know infants die of SIDS, risk is higher with having to breathe in 2nd hand smoke.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Shame on you.

Rent before you buy is right, that much I will agree with in that last post.

Country Folk
      Quote Originally Posted by blackcomb View Post
      Poor woman! is all I can say. Another selfish smoker who does not care about anyone else's health not even their own which is fine but at least have some consideration for the harmful effects of 2nd hand smoke to non-smokers who choose not to do so nor breathe others in, or have it inflicted on them. I do not blame her at all for taking any action she can to eliminate it from her personal space and living environment, rightfully. BC law states 2nd hand smoke affecting you comes under neighbours affecting your peaceful environment so if I were her I'd take it as far as she can, or better still speak to 'considerate neighbour' to negotiate and not inflict it on them.
      At least have some consideration for the innocent baby too! In case you did not know infants die of SIDS, risk is higher with having to breathe in 2nd hand smoke.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Shame on you.

Rent before you buy is right, that much I will agree with in that last post.
      It's a free country, she can move anytime she likes. We've lived in the apartment for 10 years, she comes here and within a week thinks we should change the way we live. We only smoke in our own apartment and on our balcony, not in public areas.

The kid runs around and shouts and screams all day (I work nights), apparently she reckons that is OK for them to disturb my environment.

There is no such law in BC about 2nd hand smoke.

Title
      Liked
      19 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by Country Folk View Post
      It's a free country, she can move anytime she likes. We've lived in the apartment for 10 years, she comes here and within a week thinks we should change the way we live. We only smoke in our own apartment and on our balcony, not in public areas.

The kid runs around and shouts and screams all day (I work nights), apparently she reckons that is OK for them to disturb my environment.

There is no such law in BC about 2nd hand smoke.
      Oh yes she can do something about it, it can go to rental authority and go higher still, it comes under the law for affecting their right to a legal 'peaceful environment' and smoke pollution does affect that believe it or not, they currently have a case going on right now in fact for the same kind of thing, and I too wouldn't hesitate, my baby comes first and our health not some selfish smokers 2nd hand smoke being inflicted on us without our consent I might add.

So why not agree to compromise or something, and unfortunately not much you can do about a baby crying, you were one once.

It does not matter if you lived there 5 mins or 50 yrs, nor her either, everyone has equal rights no matter how long you have lived there, that comment you made makes me laugh as I've no idea how some smokers brains work when they come out with that weak excuse.

Country Folk
      Quote Originally Posted by blackcomb View Post
      Oh yes she can do something about it, it can go to rental authority and go higher still, it comes under the law for affecting their right to a legal 'peaceful environment' and smoke pollution does affect that believe it or not, they currently have a case going on right now in fact for the same kind of thing
      From Health BC 'If you live in a rental building that allows smoking in the units, and smoke is entering your home, there are no clearly defined laws that will protect you from the dangers of second-hand smoke.'
      '
      Landlords in BC have the right to ban smoking in all or part of a building, including indoor units and outdoor patios and balconies. While they cannot change current tenancy agreements, landlords can include a non-smoking clause in new agreements'

Funnily enough these hypocrites that complain about 2nd hand smoke often drive cars and expect others to have to breath in those fumes, use airlines that pollute, buy unnecessary consumer luxuries that were delivered by polluting diesel trucks.

Anybody can sue in court, but whether they get anywhere is a whole different thing.

Title
      Liked
      19 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by Country Folk View Post
      From Health BC 'If you live in a rental building that allows smoking in the units, and smoke is entering your home, there are no clearly defined laws that will protect you from the dangers of second-hand smoke.'
      '
      Landlords in BC have the right to ban smoking in all or part of a building, including indoor units and outdoor patios and balconies. While they cannot change current tenancy agreements, landlords can include a non-smoking clause in new agreements'

Funnily enough these hypocrites that complain about 2nd hand smoke often drive cars and expect others to have to breath in those fumes, use airlines that pollute, buy unnecessary consumer luxuries that were delivered by polluting diesel trucks.

Anybody can sue in court, but whether they get anywhere is a whole different thing.

That is NOT rental authority. And as I said already much CAN be done about it whether you smokers like that or not.

Can't expect a narrow minded smoker to see sense of it all being all they can come out with is this usual crap about driving a car. Oh and we don't have cars these days that block out outside fumes with air conditioning on either do we now.. durrrr. The mind boggles, and while ON topic, it is 2nd hand smoke we are talking about not driving a car.

So does everyone who lives in rural areas outside the city breathe in car fumes inflicted on them 24/7 now? NO I think not!!!

Yes there is much that can be done, and some managers are also very supportive of that. I had a friend whose manager recently addressed their neighbours in writing telling them they were to smoke away from their house they rent from now on, which worked very effectively. Good Manager! :yes: So yes, some do act and rightly so, and some people actually respect non-smokers rights and most importantly, their babies and children (even if smokers could not care less about anyone - even their own health).

AND while staying ON topic!! I will have you know that legally every home is to be up to health and safety standard which means NO 2nd hand smoke entering your home if you disallow it, and that can be addressed via rental authority when you file a dispute - it is like taking the manager of your building to court. End of story.
      Last edited by blackcomb; 21-07-2010 at 08:24 PM.

purple
      Ok, that's enough of this nonsense. This thread has gone completely off topic, and the personal insults are against forum rules.
      Members are encouraged to debate things but please do it in a civil manner, and try to remember that other people may have different points of view to your own before just throwing a response out there, or becoming angry.

If anyone wants to open a new thread about where to live in BC, then feel free to do so.

This thread is now closed.

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12