Welcome to British Expats Abroad
    Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By Jonboy

Thread: Young family moving to Vancouver

helenjules

Young family moving to Vancouver

We are moving to Vancouver in April 2011 with our 3 children (7, 5.5 and 3.5 yrs old) to the Seymour area. Assuming that my eldest 2 will be able to get into elementary school...does anyone have any info regarding good schools in the area please? All info greatly appreciated.

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979
      paxbrit
      Hi.when you say Seymour area are you talking about North Vancouver,if so, what street?.Perhaps I could help with the info you seek I know North Vancouver well. Jeffrey

helenjules
      Quote Originally Posted by paxbrit View Post
      Hi.when you say Seymour area are you talking about North Vancouver,if so, what street?.Perhaps I could help with the info you seek I know North Vancouver well. Jeffrey
      We are in a serious state of confusion as we are basing most of our knowledge on recommendations. I plan on visiting Vancouver in June to check out some areas. Do you have any suggestions? We don't necessarily need to be in Seymour, but I have a relation there. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Jonboy
      Don't worry about it. All the schools in North Van are good. It is pretty much a rule that if the neighborhood looks good - well cared for houses and nicely maintained yards - then the local schools will be just fine. The vast majority of kids go to their local schools. The whole business of moving house to be in the catchment area of a preferred school doesn't happen much in (this part of) Canada.
      purple likes this.

Title
      Aldo is a Dil
      Liked
      23 times
      Rep
      thearmchairdetective is on a distinguished road
      I envy you, best wishes.

Title
      North Vancouver, BC 4 yrs, now Niagara region, Ontario for over a year
      Liked
      19 times
      Rep
      blackcomb is on a distinguished road
      Yes..

Collingwood, private school on the North Shore is very good!

And so is Bodwell (2nd choice I'd say).

Other than that there are good public schools too, and better catholic or church schools, however, Collingwood and Bodwell they can still learn 'proper' English not American English which I too am not in favour of for my own child.

I lived on the North Shore since moving here 3.5 yrs ago and recently moved 30 mins drive away south of there, but in another rural lovely area, and North Shore will always be my 2nd home in any case, we still live there as I spend each week there, great for outdoors, and the area you are moving to, Seymour is also lovely, so well done.