Welcome to British Expats Abroad
      Tim

Title
      Liked
      8 times
      Rep
      Tim is on a distinguished road

Dubai - What is like for a few days?

Can any one living there or stopped over there tell me what it is like for a short trip for a few days. I am thinking shopping for the missus and just generally relaxing. is it cheap? Is there some decent stuff to be done for say a 3 night stop over from the UK?

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979
      stockies

Dubai.

Hi Tim, we were there in december,WOW is how I would describe it, we stopped in a suite at the Jumeriah Beach hotel, It was bigger than my 4 bed house lol ! I wouldnt have said that it was particularly cheap, loads of things to do, The gold souk is definately worth a visit you can get a real bargain there, the snowdome is brilliant fun, the shopping is a real must!!! (Thought I had died and gone to heaven )!!!!! We had a trip on a dhow on the creek (the food was lush) along the creek are some restaurants they dont look much but the food was excellent ( remember no alcohol only in hotels )

Trips out into the desert are great fun in 4x4 , camel racing, the list is endless. Some parts look like a building site but this is due to to the fact oil will run out one day so they are building loads of things for the tourist industry! Its well worth a visit , I couldnt get over how OTT everything was, it can get unbearably hot but also can get cool on an evening. I would definately go back. I can also say that I felt very safe being out at night once I got used to everyone wearing the Arab Dress !

I believe that The UK Government have recenty issued a security warning for the UAE especially Dubai, I would look into this before you decide anything.

If I can help with anymore info just ask !

Claire. XX

Tim

Title
      Liked
      8 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by stockies View Post
      Hi Tim, we were there in december,WOW is how I would describe it, we stopped in a suite at the Jumeriah Beach hotel, It was bigger than my 4 bed house lol ! I wouldnt have said that it was particularly cheap, loads of things to do, The gold souk is definately worth a visit you can get a real bargain there, the snowdome is brilliant fun, the shopping is a real must!!! (Thought I had died and gone to heaven )!!!!! We had a trip on a dhow on the creek (the food was lush) along the creek are some restaurants they dont look much but the food was excellent ( remember no alcohol only in hotels )

Trips out into the desert are great fun in 4x4 , camel racing, the list is endless. Some parts look like a building site but this is due to to the fact oil will run out one day so they are building loads of things for the tourist industry! Its well worth a visit , I couldnt get over how OTT everything was, it can get unbearably hot but also can get cool on an evening. I would definately go back. I can also say that I felt very safe being out at night once I got used to everyone wearing the Arab Dress !

I believe that The UK Government have recenty issued a security warning for the UAE especially Dubai, I would look into this before you decide anything.

If I can help with anymore info just ask !

Claire. XX
      Hi Claire,

Thanks for that - sound like there is enough for a few days stop over. I have seen the inside of the airport enough times. Usually plunk myself in the Irish Bar for a few hours.

I was in Kuwait in Dec 2006 for work for a few weeks and it really was not a particularly nice place to be - its alchol free, not much to do and I would go stir crazy if I had to stay there any longer than the three weeks I was there!

Really just looking at the options for a stop over on our hols going back to the UK. Then again there is also Singapore!

SteveG
      According to a friend of mine there are plenty of offers available on the internet to spend some days in Dubai and most of them include a night at that 7 star hotel. I would try my luck with google.

javaneh
      Hey I was in Dubai last year for 2 weeks, my first visit there. It was one of the nicest places I have ever been to. I stayed at the Jumeria beach apartments and talk about luxurious... !
      Dubai is squeky clean, some parts do look like a building site but beyond that there a little oases of pure heaven... the shopping malls a must for the missus, one has an ice rink in it! one is open 24 hrs, with restaurants and shisha bars, a hue place.. you could get lost there.
      The beaches are lovely, clean but many of them are private, ie they are only for residents of the hotels.
      The 4x4 desert safari is a must! great fun, really exciting and after a bediun feast, belly dancing, henna painting. Dont miss that one. And the gold souk .. you have to go there and dont forget to haggle .. you can cut them down by at least half. Look beyond the front row of shops though, there are some great bargains to be had.
      I didnt thnk it was so expensive myself .. you can find plenty of great places to eat for roughly the same as the UK.
      You know, I loved it soooo much we are plannig to go live there! Just looking for right job to come up.
      Have fun
      Javaneh

Tim

Title
      Liked
      8 times
      Rep
      Thanks Javaneh - and you want to live there!? I guess is is very central to both Asia and the Uk so you can't go wrong.

Title
      Aldo is a Dil
      Liked
      23 times
      Rep
      thearmchairdetective is on a distinguished road
      just remember Tim that, as reported a lot in the press over here, it is very easy to offend and end up in prison in Dubai if you are a visitor.