Welcome to British Expats Abroad

Thread: Estate Agents

Title
      Liked
      455 times
      Rep
      yummybrummy is on a distinguished road

Estate Agents

Not sure what they're like in your neck of the woods but in UAE they are the scum of the earth! (Apologies if any estate agents from UAE are reading this but you have earned yourselves a very unhealthy reputation)

Here, it's NOT the landlord that provides the commission, but the tenant. So if one decides to move every 6 months/year you have to keep paying commission, usually 5% of the yearly tenancy agreement so that can materialise into quite a substantial amount of money which in my opinion just goes down the drain.

The majority do nothing to provide a service and a typical scenario would be finding a property that's of interest (usually on site) 'phoning them up and they give you details of exact location but you view alone and if you wish to pursue, then 'phone them back, negotiate etc. Once liaisions have been agreed, voila, they've earned their commission - for doing WHAT exactly? They haven't even got out of their beds

I've contacted about 12 estate agents via email requesting more info on some properties that are of interest about 4 days ago and not one of them have bothered replying to me.

Last year when I'd decided on a property to rent here, I'd liaised with the agent (English) and she did accompany me around the property but when I went to the DEWA office (Department of Electric and Water Association) to open an account I was asked for a specific DEWA number which would allocate the correct property to be connected but I didn't have that information. I had asked her earlier in the morning exactly what documents would be required to provide and she convinced me that everything I had in my possession was ample. So I phoned her explaining where I was and that such and such was required to expedite process of connection. Was told 'oh hang on I will contact landlord and get back to you' One and a half hours later am still sitting in DEWA office waiting for a return call. Fortunately I had landlords mobile number and 'phoned him for necessary information. He was surprised to hear from me as he had already relayed info to the aforesaid agent hour and a half prior to my call but she hadn't bothered to come back to me. Eventually she did call me and told me she was in a meeting so was unable to contact me - WTF???? Problem was once I'd agreed to rent said property she's become complacent and couldn't give a sh*t and was quite prepared to leave me waiting for an indefinite period in a service centre which was very busy. I discovered at a later date that this was one of the services an estate agent should provide once property is leased.

I got the better of her in the end though. Haha. Oooh I just love revenge. All sweetness and smiles when I first met her and then when she thought she'd got me in her clutches and eyes that turned into signs she soon lost interest. How shallow can you get?

Just a little advice to anyone who's thinking of renting property in Dubai - beware of the sharks because they are one self absorbed jumped up little hitlers.
      Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves - Confucious

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979

Title
      Liked
      455 times
      Rep
      Btw the above experience is by no means an isolated incident. The majority conduct themselves in this manner unfortunately

Title
      Administrator
      Liked
      897 times
      Rep
      Ktee is on a distinguished road
      I think agents are like all over YB (evening by the way). The Aussie ones won't entertain you until you touch down over here and view the house yourself, which means people have to book in to temp accommodation or a hotel. They have so many people competing for properties the agents don't do any chasing or follow up calls, if they do you then know it's a rubbish property.
      Over in Victoria all leases are for 12 months unfurnished, if you break the lease you have to keep paying until they find someone to take over, at the minute this usually only takes a month maximum, some will ask you to pay $150 re advertising fee on top.
      We have an office of fair trading here do you have anything like that over there? I have heard some horror stories about rentals in Turkey as well.

Title
      Liked
      455 times
      Rep
      But Ktee do the agents charge the tenants for the commission as opposed to the vendor/landlord?

Title
      Administrator
      Liked
      897 times
      Rep
      No the landlord pays the agent management fees which is a set percentage.

Title
      Liked
      455 times
      Rep
      Exactly, it's down to the tenants here. So if you keep moving 6 months/yearly it can become an astronomical financial outlay to the tenant

Title
      Administrator
      Liked
      897 times
      Rep
      Blinkin heck, they aren't daft are they. What is the property market like are rentals in high demand? In Victoria we have a vacancy rate of less than 1%.

Title
      Liked
      455 times
      Rep
      Is a very lucrative market for estate agents out here