Welcome to British Expats Abroad

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      sarah is on a distinguished road

Avoiding tax and customs duty on shipping personal belongings

Hello everyone!

I am moving back to the UK after 3.5 years of living in the US. I'd like to send some of my personal belongings home ahead of me, but I am unsure how to avoid taxes and customs duty on them.

I found information on https://www.gov.uk/moving-to-uk saying that I would need to fill out a 'Application for Transfer of Residence relief (ToR1)' form.

I started completing the form only to find that I can't answer most of the questions, as:
      - I do not have a job lined up when I return
      - I am moving back in with my parents when I return
      - I am shipping my belongings ahead of my return

Can anyone advise if this is the correct form/procedure?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Nonjon is on a distinguished road
      I don't know the answer to this myself, but I would think a moving company that operates between the two countries would. I would look for an international moving company, give them a call and see what they say. Even if they don't know straight away, they can probably find out, or at least point you in the right direction of someone who can. I have used a1autotransport.com for overseas moving before and they seemed pretty on top of their game - you might try them to see if they can help make sense of it. One thing I do know from having moved back and forth a few times is that it's sometimes hard to find answers to questions like this. Cheers & good luck.

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Chris889 is on a distinguished road
      I dont know the answer for this one. Hope someone will answer coz I need the same info. limestone fertilizer

https://fingerlakesrealtypartners.com/skaneateles-realtors/